Sunday, August 14, 2005

Sare Jahaan se Achha...

I am patriotic. I may not know how many God-forsaken states we have (is it 26, 27, 28 or 29??), I can't remember the names of their capitals; when I read the morning newspaper, it's 'Calvin and Hobbes' that I turn to first, and not the National Headlines. I don't remember when the Cabinet was shuffled last, Indian History is a vague blur from the little that I managed to learn at school. I don't care too much for politics, and I don't burst crackers when India wins in cricket against Pakistan. I haven't attended a single Independence Day or Republic Day celebration at college so far, and I haven't even mouthed the "Jana Gana Mana" in years.

However, there's something that the plaintive "Ae mere watan ke logon" stirs inside me. Something that makes me smile inwardly when I see grimy, little urchins selling miniature tricolour flags for a couple of rupees apiece. Something that got me piqued when I found China featured as a growing country on the June edition of the IEEE's Spectrum, while I had an unswerving, blind opinion that India is/will be the undisputable leader among third-world (I hate to call it that, though) countries. A feeling of unwavering pride in my motherland, which was seeded unknowingly and stands rooted firmly. A sense of gratefulness to all those millions of un-named people who sacrificed their lives, and most importantly, their dignity; to give us this republic, egalitarian democracy. A republic which is in most ways handicapped, egalitarian with some undefined constraints; and a democracy with a freedom of expression, which lets us gripe about the system and blame it for failings that we aren't ready to do anything about. A country that gives me the privilege to callously run on, about things that most of you (reading this) don't care about; while elsewhere, voices like that of Glutter Girl are stifled, when they cry out for millions of people, demanding Democracy.

I've grown up, dreaming of doing something BIG for India. But then, I wonder, what/who is India? Is it the people? No, that seems too parochial; I'd want to do something for the starving kids in Africa too, if I could. Is it the place, the land? Sounds fine, but not a very satisfactory answer. Is it the culture? Well, ok! But who said the Zulu tribe didn't have one? Even the Cherokees had a society! (Or so I think) Maybe it is the collective spirit. The spirit that binds us all, and lights up the ceiling lamps in upmarket stores, as well as the cheap, neon signs in downtown markets. The fire that helps make gruel in tiny hovels and sets them aflame on a dark night. The fury that keeps activists fighting, and engulfs them with its intensity, to leave them charred. The fever which is paraded as 'patriotism', while it really is chauvinism.

As a kid, I'd have something akin to resentment, against our neighbour. But today, there are so many things that I admire about the people. I simply LOVE the nasal voices that make their music unparalleled, I gawk in wonder at the yards of fine fabric that is flown down from there and I see a shining tenacity in their faces that might stun even the suffering that looks them in the eye. There must be a common thread that was woven into the length of our variegated, mutual culture; which hasn't lost it's colour even after fifty-eight years of bleaching with unfounded contempt; the strength of which makes the soldier flinch as he charges across the border, and stretches even more taut while he pulls the trigger. Will it ever snap?

As I post this, there must've been flags unfurled thousands of kilometres away. And tomorrow, there'll be millions of onlookers while a flag is hoisted at the Red Fort, speeches and promises made, military parades cheered, thousands of school-children marching under a scorching sun, the National Anthem sung at numerous ceremonies, sweets distributed, sacrifices remembered and a passion rekindled. While every word is uttered and each consonant enunciated, remnants of a six-decade old struggle are revisited. The same noble sentiments are reiterated, and a resonant sense of integrity cherished. Some of this spirit might still be alive, fighting bravely against the winds of more pressing, personal interests; some will flag, struggling to keep burning; and the rest will die without a whimper, because it was either mere affectation or because it didn't have the strength. And so, I risk sounding juvenile for not matching more eloquent voices and echo my current state of mind; and will witness the spate of activities tomorrow. All done and forgotten until the next time.

6 Patron Prattle:

At 8/25/2005 7:30 AM, Blogger wiseorotherwise said...

Prolly we ordinary people are too speechless to comment on such a beautiful post!

 
At 8/27/2005 8:59 AM, Blogger Cos Θ said...

Now, that's ONE lame excuse!! :P

 
At 8/31/2005 10:14 PM, Blogger L . Hyena, The said...

hmm..profound!!..didnt..know..that..you..had..it..in..u!!

L.Hyena..

PS:..I..wish..this..damn..space..bar..would..start..working

 
At 8/31/2005 10:29 PM, Blogger Cos Θ said...

**Sigh**
Unfortunately, patriotism isn't a tattoo that I can sport on my forehead. But, it's just an emotion that can make my heart burst with it's simple enormity.

 
At 8/31/2005 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!
Hey tell me a thing .. how do ya manage thinkin all impossibles !! LOL

 
At 9/22/2005 4:26 AM, Blogger Cos Θ said...

Impossibles?? :-?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home