Thursday, August 24, 2006

Another 'encounter'

Well, this happened today, a few hours ago... so it's all too fresh in my mind, and I just cant keep myself from posting it. I dont know if it's gonna smack of vanity/whatever.. but well... Because my friends are hungrily waiting for some 'drama' at my end, I gotta post it.

So, I tag along with a bunch of girls, window-shopping in some shops along our school's lane... Of course we were doing the currency conversions and gasping at the prices. Of course we stopped at the books section and picked up the astrology book to check on the sign of our ideal 'partner' for 2007. Of course we sized up everyone else that was buying the BYOOTIPHUL UPenn jerseys and sweatshirts that were EXORBITANTLY priced. Of course we carefully peeked at the finely-printed price stickers under the Maggi-shelf at the Indian store [Oh, btw.. they only cost about twice as much as they do in India... so I'm now Maggi-happy]. Of course we bought the samosas for 60 cents, swallowed them down with a dollop of ketchup; after which we mentally did the conversion again.

Of course all that happens like everyday. But what ALSO happened to me, was what I'd generally put down as a scene out of a cheesy thriller.. like a Chase maybe? No, maybe a Jackie Collins or Danielle Steel.

I'm standing in an aisle of this grocery store, totally oblivious of blocking human traffic.. so this guy wants to pass. Of course he excuses himself, and of course I apologised and moved out of the way. So he laughs it off with an "Oh! You dont have to apologise!"... So I make a mental note to keep clear of narrow aisles. Then, I'm just loitering around, AGAIN doing some quick math and mentally making a weekly grocery list. Stuff like plain, sugar-frosted cereal, whole milk, wheat bread [remember NOT to buy the 'organic' brown bread], etc.

The guy who's way I was in, earlier comes back and asks "So where you guys from?". I was like "Timbuctu!!" (ok.. that was an aside actually).. so obviously we are beaming "India!!". So he's like.. "Which school are you going to... blah blah.." And then, out of sheer courtesy, I'm like "You?". So he's very casually saying "I'm gonna teach at Wharton" or some such thing. I'm close to popping my eyes out... so I try and maintain a normal conversation.. and he says "How about dinner tonight?". So I'm like... Huh!! Of course I'm politely refusing and he just wont give up... He asks my name, and I wouldnt give it. So he proffers his hand and says "Jim." I shake it. It's like PUTTY!! That's a BAD BAD sign you know. So I quickly say mine. Surprisingly, most of these guys get it RIGHT!!

He wants my number, I dont have one. So he wants me to take his number. I pretend not to have paper on me. So he writes it for me on my palm. 8-| Now HOW cheesy is THAT!!

Gack!! That's pretty much it... And of course, I'm not gonna call him. He's not even one of the bhai-jis, for those who'd be interested...

I still have the number on my palm though. :P

6 Patron Prattle:

At 8/25/2006 12:36 AM, Blogger L . Hyena, The said...

The non-bhaiji type is actually interested in YOU? hmm...maybe an aberration ... maybe he likes awkwardness...:P

 
At 8/25/2006 5:47 AM, Blogger Cos Θ said...

Ah well.. remember he's teaching at Wharton. :-"

(Though I HOPE he wasn't fibbing :-s)

 
At 8/25/2006 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

=)) =)) =))
nice story ...
now a days u r dreamin such stuff too .. :P
so u want me to believe .. that guy wants u to join with him for dinner leavin aside ur frnds
sare manalo mana maata enti story create chesi image penchudaam anukuntunnava ;)

 
At 8/25/2006 8:44 AM, Blogger Cos Θ said...

Edchavu le. :P

 
At 8/26/2006 3:00 AM, Blogger Abhijit said...

interesting!!!

but why on earth did you have to be so blunt???

come on....about time you went out ona romantic dinner with someone!!!

 
At 8/28/2007 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello..entamma..segalu..original versions emina vunte cheppu..vintamu..REMIX lu vaddu..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home